Thursday, January 9, 2014

Art Every Day - January 8

It is hard to believe that we are over 1/4 of the way through the month already.   Here are the submissions for January 8th:

Genevieve T. continued work on her beautiful CQ block:





Barbara K. began working on an incredible bookmark:



Susan (http://susanstudioarts.blogspot.com/2014/01/day-4-of-make-art-every-day-challenge.html) created another stunning ATC.


I worked on my Journal52 pages ( I had to do two of them to catch up) and spent far too much time cleaning up my studio.


My Journal52 page for Jan 7th: the prompt was for something to go "Up, Up, and Away" but this was my "make" on it... I saw this wonderful car ad in an old National Geographic and just had to use it. I treated it with Citra-Solve, let it dry and added a few printed words. Simple and I love it.  

Since I was behind, I had to do a second journal page as well.  This one is for January 8th. The background is a paper towel which I used as a mop-up rag and when I unfolded it, loved the distribution of colors so I kept it. I used Scor tape to mount it to a piece of cardstock, then added some torn pieces of Tim Holtz's tissue wrap. I used Golden Soft Gel medium as a glue, then gave the entire piece a coat of the gel for strength. I wanted to use something at least semi-transparent so that the decorative elements would not obscure the colors on the paper towel.




I also started working on an Entrelac Scarf.  The yarn arrived today and I was excited to begin working on a scarf, a free pattern from Craftsy.  You can see it at this link:  http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/knitting/accessory/entrelac-scarf/19?addToCart


I have never done an Entrelac piece before, and it takes a bit of adjustment to figure out what I need to do.  I did the first base triangle just fine, but bungled the count on the second one, ripped it out, went too far, and ended up with such a mess that I ripped out the entire thing and started all over again.  The second time went more smoothly, but the constant turn, turn, turn takes a lot of time.  A friend advised me to learn how to knit backwards.  I may set the Entrelac piece aside, grab some scrap yarn, and do just that! 

Here is the yarn:

Until tomorrow...





1 comment:

Susan Studio Arts said...

Day 5, Warming of Europa's surface...http://bit.ly/17ecK6m for details.