Sunday, December 29, 2013

Funky Parrot Painting

This funky parrot painting was inspired by a mola that I received as a gift.  I needed a simple design for a class I am taking and, since I'm tired of painting flowers, this fit the bill quite nicely.

The painting is done with Twinkling H2Os, sometimes called Twinks.  These are a watercolor paint which is full of simmer and glimmer from the mica ground into the pigment.  The :paper: is Yupo, a plastic that looks like paper but is made from recycled soft drink bottles.  It is very different to work with, and can pose challenges and provide great fun at the same time. 

Although it doesn't show well in this snapshot, the background is a mottled pink.  The design was first drawn with a squeeze bottle full of Pouring Medium, using a very fine tip.  Then you essentially paint inside the lines.  The plan was to use India ink inside and outside the lines, but my pouring was too thick and the ink looked absurd.  I removed it and repainted the area where the ink had been applied (one of the benefits of Yupo...).  You can see the clear, shiny lines of the pouring medium.  I think if I did this technique again, I would first color the medium black, so that I could have black lines and a stained glass look without the inking and wide white spaces. 

Funky Parrot



No comments: