Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I'm Just a Valentine Curmudgeon

$472.25. According to one web site, this is what the AVERAGE person spends on Valentine's Day. I cannot believe that a pseudo-holiday merits this much attention or expenditure.

Some of you may think that I'm not romantic if I think spending so much is foolish. Think again. My DH and I have been together more than 45 years and are still very much in love. We don't seem to need a mandated day to give each other commercial cards, flowers, and other gifts to cement our relationship. Doing something nice for one another on an everyday basis -- not just once a year when the calendar says it is the right day -- seems to work very well indeed. Which would you prefer: 1 day or 365?

I wonder what someone else is spending to make up for the $944.50 we are not?

1 comment:

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

we are on your side, 41 years married, incalculable value accrued :)
But, there was the $790,000 currently imploding actor CS spent on 4 women that week, that probably made up for a lot of us that love and smile.

Here it to a quick recovery of your bum leg,
Sharyn