Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Husky and the Deer

Our little town has resident deer.  They don't cause much mischief and one family of them live across the street from me behind a house that has been vacant for a number of years (some legal issue with inheritance).  They graze on lawns for the most part, and this year one of the does has a still-spotty fawn.  The husky down the street was apparently able to see the two deer and set up a horrible ruckus of howling and yelping.   I thought a dog was in trouble and rushed out to see what was up. It sounded like he was in terrible pain.  Nope, just sitting there and making noise.  My DH, who is a bit faster than me, was already out and as I puffed up beside him, he told me the story.  The doe ran from the dog in one direction, the fawn in another, and the dog's human dragged the dog inside.  The howling stopped.  The doe, who was now in our side yard, stayed as still as a statue, except for her flicking tail.  The fawn?  No clue.  No one was hurt.  The doe eventually wandered off to find the fawn and all is quiet once more.   I suppose I'll see them grazing the lawn after sunset tonight, as always.   Life in a small town has its moments.

No comments: