Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Postcard on a Blah Day

My mailbox held a surprise today: this terrific fabric postcard from a friend!



What a perfect surprise to cheer up this blah day!

Winter still has an icy grip on my driveway -- four or more inches of solid, rock-hard ice that is as smooth as an ice rink just groomed by the Zamboni machine. Several days of thaw/freeze/thaw/freeze cycles have perfected its mirror surface. Driving on it -- and it is a looooong driveway -- is scary. Walking is worse. I had to venture out to go to Physical Therapy this afternoon and had to wear ice cleats to make it to my car. Weeks and weeks of this ice (it has been there since the big ice storm in early December) are wearing me down. I dream of warm, tropical beaches and find myself humming Jimmy Buffet tunes. Will the thaw never come? It looks like it wants to rain or snow, dark overcast skies everywhere. Even with the forecast for mid 40s tomorrow and the next couple of days, the bare pavement is not likely to reappear as long as the temperature drops to below freezing every night. And in P/T, I had to lie on a cold pack for 20 minutes -- which did nothing to help with my winter blahs!

My yard is not much better. Our house is on a steep slope and the snow in the yard is also rock-hard. I saw a squirrel slide 70 feet down the hill today, unable to stop even with his sharp claws. He finally stopped sliding when he hit a tree. Birds slide when they land. It's awful. OOOH! Bahamas!

So......when I checked my mail and got Cheryl's card in all its cheery, warm colors, my spirits were instantly revived and the day was saved. Thanks, Cher!

No comments: