Monday, December 26, 2011

Winter Thoughts and Acorns

I can't believe that we are nearing the end of December and we don't have any snow. There was the "Halloween Blizzard" but all of that snow is long gone. Now, don't get me wrong -- I'm not wanting snow. I'm just considering how odd it is to look out of the studio window and see green grass with all the bare trees and not a white wilderness. All in all, I rather prefer walking out to the studio without having to shovel, or slip and slide.

The other really odd thing about this year has been the absolute lack of acorns. Usually they carpet the driveway and at the edge of the forest, they are inches thick. Walking there is like walking on a pile of marbles -- dangerous! But not this year. There were virtually none on the driveway and only one here and there at the forest edge. I worry for the critters that depend on them for food...especially my favorite wild turkeys.

No comments: